Lisa flew back to San Antonio Thursday since our parents got back from their trip Wednesday night. It was the first time she had flown by herself and she did a great job! We had a lot of fun and I was sad to see her leave. I am so thankful for the time we had to hang out and bond over the last two weeks. We went to an Astro's game, went shopping at Harwin, the new outlet malls in Cypress, the Galleria, got her hair cut, practiced driving and parking, and cooked, cooked, cooked! Lisa and I both like to cook and bake so she make a cookbook in preparing to come visit us of recipes she wanted to try while she was here. We made most of the recipes that she brought including pimento cheese from scratch, strawberry buttermilk sorbet, blueberry muffins, garlic mashed potatoes, along with some of Evan and I's favorites. I would have to say that all the cooking we did together was my favorite part of her being here. My other favorite part is that we went walking almost every morning. I decided once school was out that I was going to get back to exercising regularly but I really hadn't done it. Lisa walks with our parents most evenings so she pushed me to go with her. I am really thankful because I really think that I will keep it up now. She gave me the jump-start that I needed! She also gave me a much needed jump-start on assembling a recipe binder that I have been wanting to make for almost two years now. We both subscribe to Southern Living and I love tearing out recipes from the magazines. I started putting the pages in clear plastic sheets to protect them and then got the idea of organizing them and putting them all in a binder after seeing that my mother-in-law had organized all of her recipes that way. Judy, my mother-in-law, is the one who gave me a subscription to Southern Living many years ago for Christmas and has thankfully continued doing so because she has got me hooked! Anyway, I told Lisa of the binder idea and she thought is was great so she made me sit down and work on it one day. She helped me sort all the recipes I had torn out and put them in sheet protectors. We didn't finish it that day, but she encouraged me to stick with it and before she left, I was able to finish it! I know it sounds silly that I would be so excited about finishing such a task, but it has been waiting for me for almost TWO YEARS!! Of course it is not really finished, and it will never be, because I will continue to add to and subtract from it for years but the initial work is completed. Lisa even made a cute cover for me :) Here are some pictures:
Lisa, Me, and Evan at the Astro's game against the Cubs. It was a really close game but the Astro's ended up pulling it out in the bottom of the 9th to win 2-1.
We took Lisa to practice parking three times while she was here since she just got her permit. Here is a picture of Evan working with her. Evan did most of the "instruction" and he did a great job of being patient and encouraging. Lisa did a great job and definitely showed progress over the three "lessons" we went through.
Lisa showing off the purse she got on our trip to Harwin. It was definitely an interesting experience :)
Lisa at the airport right before I left her to get on the plane by herself. I went with her to the gate since it was her first time to fly by herself but she didn't really need my help. I think we both felt better that I was there just in case. She looked so grown up with her new haircut, outfit, and jewelry.
I realize now that we didn't get any pictures of us cooking together which is a huge bummer since that is what we spent the majority of our time doing. I guess she will just have to come back soon so we can do some more cooking and get a few pictures as proof.
All in all it was a great two weeks. Lisa, you taught me a lot about you, about myself, and about being a big sister over the last two weeks. I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished. Thank you for being patient with Evan and I as we walked the line between big sister/brother-in-law and parents. You are welcome to come stay with us anytime, even if Mom and Dad aren't out of town :)
No comments:
Post a Comment